#Mothersyarn: Hospital for pregnant women and newborn riddled with mosquitoes

The Igbaja Government hospital in Surulere, Lagos has a beautiful modern setting. The set up is so fine  it confuses you when you are in the facility and mosquitoes becomes your friend.  I was opportune to put to bed in this hospital.. Where the health care personnel's are smart and professional when they are not overworked and tired but.... It's not an exaggeration when I say the labour ward filled with pregnant women and newborns is riddled with mosquitoes.... 
Every contraction pain comes with slapping off mosquitoes....  


After I put to bed I didn't close my eyes because I was slapping off mosquitoes from my newborn.

We all know what mosquitoes can do to pregnant women and the detriment it can do to a newborn... 

I put to bed and within the hour I spotted two mosquito bite spot on my newborn and I was literally begging to be discharged despite the weakness from birthing.

My neighbor recently put to bed too and when I went to visit and I spotted mosquito bite marks on her baby girl's  face I asked her if she used Igbaja General hospital too and she said yes.  Can you imagine??? 

My point is, in Nigeria why don't we always work with the phrase "prevention is better than cure" 


Why  can't hospital baby proof their wards against mosquitoes or better still take measures to ensure people that comes into the hospital do not go home with another ailment or infection....   


*in the abroad* before you enter the ward where newborns  are kept they make you change all your wears and take all precautions to keep newborn safe but here a modern hospital as big as Igbaja Government hospital, Surulere Lagos can not even baby proof their maternal and newborn ward against mosquitoes. 

Maternal and newborn morbidity and mortality rate in Nigeria  is so high therefore it is imperative Government do the basic stuffs in out health facilities and systems to prevent  this rate so it can drastically reduce, starting  by baby proofing all maternal and newborns ward against mosquitoes to the more technical stuffs like engaging and employing more skilled health care personnel's so one man can stop taking care of four hundred (400) patients.....

Drops pen: Rants from an angry mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Mothersyarn: Do you know that frequent massage and stimulation of the breast can lead to faster milk production after delivery???

Open Letter To Mr. President

Family Planning; A means to tackle Malnutrition in Nigeria